2018 Winter Edition Results & Recap
Pickerel Lake Park
Please email me if you think there’s a significant error (e.g., you are listed with 0 CPs) and I’ll dive into the passport pile to check it out. If you finished in the top five in your division but were not around to get your prize, email me.Sounds like most of you had an awesome day out there. Great weather, beautiful terrain, awesome volunteers, a nice camp vibe, tasty food, and strong racing on your part. Maybe other areas and states have racers as fun and gracious as all of you, but we doubt it.
Whether you came in early with 8 CPs or got them all, you are winners for taking on a challenge that’s really intimidating until you do it. An extra pat on the back to the 143 (!) new adventure racers who had the courage to not only do an adventure race, but one in the depths of winter. And a nod to the 61 out of 175 teams that cleared the entire course.
- The fantastic volunteers, including 14 from Camp Roger. We’ll be sending your charity challenge contributions (thanks!) and a share of the race profits to their scholarship fund for kids who otherwise wouldn’t be able to go to summer camp. Another way to support Camp Roger is Joe’s Big Race, an adventure race with a different but fun format. Read below for details.
- Our great sponsors: Gazelle Sports, West Michigan Bike & Fitness, Bill & Paul’s Sporthaus, Honey Creek Inn, Icespike, Let Us Design/Build, Tubbs Snowshoes, Alger Bikes, Tec Labs/Tecnu, and Peppino’s Sports Grille.
- Local vendors for discounted goods: D&D Printing (maps), Kingma’s Market
- All of you who brought the tasty sides and treats.
- Camp Roger and Kent County Parks for use of their beautiful land. If you have a minute, post a message on Kent County Parks Foundation’s Facebook page and consider getting involved.
Thanks to Jamie Geysbeek Photography for the race photos. Look for them on our Facebook page and more via email and Flickr down the road.
Can be picked up at Gazelle Sports Grand Rapids starting Sunday (tomorrow) or call and ask for it to be transferred to Kzoo or Holland. Here’s what we found, plus a Nike chartreuse and black glove.Shirts
We have a decent number of shirts left if you want one or another. Email if you want one and I can leave it at a Gazelle Sports store. $10 each or two for $15. We can also sell our Michigan Adventure Racing shirts and merchandise if you can pick items up from Gazelle.
- Michigan Adventure Race: Silver Lake. Registration for our June 6 race at awesome Silver Lake Sand Dunes on Lake Michigan/Silver Lake is open. Pick from five hours with some challenges (paddleboard, sandboarding, hopefully a dune waterslide, etc.) or 8 hours without. Register here.
- Michigan Adventure Race: Epic. Registration opens Monday! 10 hours of scenic river (and some amazing creek) paddling, singletrack, two track and road biking and intermediate orienteering near Belding in the Flat River Valley. Learn more here
- Joe’s Big Race. Did you enjoy the Camp Roger experience? Want to take part in an adventure race and help a great cause at the same time? Register now for the 10th Annual Joe’s Big Race on April 25, 2015. Help make a difference in the lives of children in West Michigan. 100% of the proceeds goes to the same scholarship fund for kids that you supported today. Find some friends, and join us for an adventure through the woods, completing challenges along the way!
Thanks for racing!
Mark, for Greg (and Matt and Brian)