- Bicycle. Any standard road, mountain, cyclocross or hybrid bike is allowed (no tandems). There will be a relatively short intermediate/advanced level singletrack trail in which only mountain bikes or other bikes with 38 mm wide tires will be allowed (or veteran riders with smaller cyclocross tires but you must contact us). You CAN run this trail. Or just skip this trail and miss out on a few checkpoints. West MI Bike & Fitness (Kentwood store only, talk to Evert III) may have a few bikes available for rental for $45 each. Reserve now if you need one.
- Bike helmet. Must be specifically approved for biking.
- 40 oz. of water or energy drink. In a Camelbak-type hydration pack recommended. EACH TEAMMATE MUST HAVE THEIR OWN HYDRATION PACK/SOURCE and you must have this capacity during all legs of the race. Doesn’t have to stay full of course but fill up when you can. If you are using water bottles on the bike to get to this capacity, you must maintain that capacity on non-bike legs.
- Pants/tights and water-resistant jacket ARE NO LONGER REQUIRED. We recommend that you bring a water-resistant jacket if temperatures are cool. We reserve the right to require it in the case of unseasonably cold temperatures.
- Pen/pencil and two pieces of scratch paper for work on challenges.
- Compass. Baseplate or sighting type for basic orienteering; learn how to use with our Navigation 101 presentation.
- $6 cash. Required to complete an optional challenge.
- Mobile phone. Fully charged and sealed in waterproof bag (ziplock allowed but riskier).
- Waterproof map case or doubled-up ziplock baggies for map. The map is not waterproof (the passport is). You may wish to also protect the map with contact paper/clear tape.
We recommend Gazelle Sports, West Michigan Bike & Fitness or Bill & Paul’s Sporthaus for the items below. They sponsor the race so please thank them when you stop in.
Bill & Paul’s is offering a 10% discount up until the day of the race on the following with proof of registration: hydration products, trail footwear and socks, compasses/navigation tools, fitness watches (except Freestyle or Timex), headlights, nutrition, and paddlesport clothing. Gazelle Sports is offering 10% any product in their store at early check in with bib number/proof of registration.
- Contact paper or clear tape to waterproof your instruction sheet and map (at Meijer in household goods)
- First aid kit
- Trail running shoes
- Outdoor/athletic socks
- Food (energy gel, bars, etc.)
- Spare tires
- Tire pump
- Tire levers
- Synthetic, wicking t-shirt
- Bike shorts
- Bike gloves
- Shoes with spikes (can ruin ArtPrize venue floors). Recessed cleats on bike shoes ARE allowed.
- GPS that allows you to determine your location on a map is not allowed. A GPS watch is ok, but only to check your route after the race
- Motorized anything
- Sherpas, pack mules, llamas, yetis or other living transport options