- Bicycle. Any standard road, mountain, cyclocross or hybrid bike is allowed (no tandems). There will be a short intermediate level singletrack trail in which only mountain bikes or other bikes with 38 mm wide tires will be allowed (or veteran riders with smaller cyclocross tires but you must contact us). This area is also off limits to racers on foot. You can participate in the race and skip this trail if you do not have a mountain bike or some cyclocross bikes; you’ll just miss out on a small number of checkpoints. West MI Bike & Fitness (Kentwood store only, talk to Evert III) may have a few bikes available for rental for $45 each. Reserve now if you need one.
- Bike helmet (must be specifically approved for biking)
- 40 oz. of water or energy drink (in a Camelbak-type hydration pack* or waist belt preferred). EACH TEAMMATE MUST CARRY THEIR OWN WATER/SPORTS DRINK and you must have this capacity during all legs of the race (if you are using water bottles on the bike to get to this capacity, you must maintain that capacity on non-bike legs
- Pants/tights and water-resistant jacket (weather-dependent; a cold driving rain can quickly cause hypothermia. If the forecast calls for good weather, we will drop this requirement in advance of the race.
- Pen/pencil and two pieces of scratch paper (for work on challenges)
- Compass (for basic orienteering, attend a free navigation clinic and you’ll easily learn. Check the Facebook Events page for available clinics.
- $10 cash.
~$5 for the charity challenge (optional, but may help you for a challenge; many give it to our charity either way, which they appreciate!)
~$5 for emergency food or water
- Mobile phone, fully charged and sealed in ziplock or waterproof bag (smartphone not required, but you can use one for non-GPS activities and it may be helpful for looking up answers to one or more questions)
- Waterproof map case or doubled-up ziplock baggies for map. The map is not waterproof. You may wish to also protect it with contact paper/clear tape.
Suggested Gear – We recommend Gazelle Sports, West Michigan Bike & Fitness or Bill & Paul’s Sporthaus for these items. They sponsor the race so please thank them when you stop in.
- Contact paper or clear tape to waterproof your instruction sheet and map (at Meijer in household goods)
- First aid kit
- Trail running shoes
- Outdoor/athletic socks
- Food (energy gel, bars, etc.)
- Spare tires
- Tire pump
- Tire levers
- Synthetic, wicking t-shirt
- Bike shorts
- Bike gloves
- Shoes with spikes (can ruin ArtPrize venue floors). Recessed cleats on bike shoes ARE allowed.
- GPS that allows you to determine your location on a map is not allowed. A GPS watch is ok, but only to check your route after the race
- Motorized anything
- Sherpas, pack mules, llamas, yetis or other living transport options